For balcony use we recommend the following:
If you are going to use the Bokashi system in an apartment you need to have a balcony with sufficient room to have some pots on it.
Then follow the instructions below:
- Purchase a large pot (whichever shape suits your balcony best) together with potting soil.
- Place a thick layer of soil at the bottom of the pot. One large pot should have 30cm of soil in the bottom of it.
- You then empty the contents of your Bokashi black composting bin or your Bokashi white composting bin (being careful to retain the sieve).
- The Bokashi treated food waste from the Bokashi bin should be emptied on top of the soil in the bottom of the plant pot.
- Then finish with another thick layer of soil. The soil should cover the food waste, now in the plant pot, with a 30cm layer of soil.
After 2 weeks you can plant vegetable or flowering plants directly into the pot OR you can leave the pot to stand for 6 weeks and then use the soil conditioner produced.
If you don't have a balcony the only way to use the Bokashi treated food waste would be to give it to someone who has a villa with a garden.